Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Snatched from The Surf

I spent about two hours on the beach this morning. When I fist arrived, I was disappointed. It was peak high tide! The large waves were pounding the shore and sucking sand out quicker than they came crashing it.

No seaglass and no swimming were the first things that popped into my head.

I stood on the edge of the surf getting splashed by the waves. I watched the sand and foam whip and swirl around my feet, occasionally crouching down to  let some of the waves and foam cool my back and head.

Once, I noticed a flash of green amidst the yellow swirl of sand and rock. Seaglass! As quick as I saw the green flash, a large wave came and washed it back out, but now my eyes were glued to the sand. Several times I watched this green flash wash up on shore only to be sucked back out while sand, rock and water raced all around it, smoothing its edges.

Eventually I was quick enough to catch the glass! I long, smooth gem of Kelly green seaglass. It was the first of five totally smooth pieces that I plucked out of the surf!


No every piece I found was smooth. I did not keep the rough pieces, but tossed them back into natures glass tumbler. 

No comments:

Post a Comment